Monday, February 26, 2007

Firearms instructor shows a SigArms 9mm semi-automatic weapon.

Edward W. Pokornicki, Firearms Instructor

Age: 56 Family: Married; three children Native of: Boston Current residence: Uxbridge Time in current job: 29 years

What do you do?

“I am a firearms instructor for police officers, for hunter safety and I am a National Rifle Association instructor for civilians who want a firearm for home protection. I teach firearm safety for the home and on the range. They all include instruction shooting a shotgun, a rifle and a handgun. I teach how to load guns safely, how to clean them and sight them in.”

How did you get into this field?


“I just like guns, and I like helping people. Jim Malo of the NRA Worcester range told me I would be a good candidate. I took the course and started giving classes. I’ve taught kids as young as 8 years old.”

Do you find that people have diverse reasons for wanting to learn to shoot or to carry a gun?

“I find that now there’s a lot more conscientious people. Some people are ticked off that they have to take the course. Down South and in Texas you can buy a gun and don’t have to take a firearms course. When they take the course, a lot say they’re glad, that they learned something. There are organizations out there that are anti-gun. It’s a good sport. But it’s like driving a car; if you’re not careful someone will get hurt or killed. A lot of people who take the course want to know if they can protect themselves in their house.

There are people who want to know if they can use a gun. I try to give them an answer they will understand. You can’t shoot someone who’s running out the door with your TV. Only if bodily harm or death is going to occur. If you can call the police, call the police. Some people say I’m too hard. I have no problem with that. It shows that I’m doing my job.

In the last three years I’ve had five people call my house and offer me up to $500 for a card, but they didn’t want to take the course. I turned them all down. I would never do that.”

Are people using different types of guns now than several years ago?

“More people are using semiautomatic handguns than revolvers. They can carry a larger capacity. A lot of people use them to shoot longer for accuracy.

They can sight in the gun, and they can get more time to get a feel for the firearm.”

Do many girls or women enroll in your classes?

“Adults, yeah. I average one or two women for every five men in class. I also see more women in the woods, hunting. It’s good to see them taking up an active sport.”

What’s the best part of your job?

“Meeting different people. Keeping kids off the street. I really enjoy instructing kids. I like to see them in the woods, hunting, not hanging out on the street. I like to see a father and son in class together. There’s a lot of paperwork, but it’s good work. We’ll have 25 Boy Scouts this year. Nobody has said anything against it. I let the parents see what they’ve learned. Kids do it to earn merit badges. The course is very strict. It has to be, because you want them to learn. They’re taught ethics and respect of firearms and other people and their surroundings. I teach them to be sportsmen, not Rambo.”

What’s the worst part?

“Picking up the newspaper and seeing someone from my class did something stupid. (Addressing the issue of) domestic violence is taught in class. You don’t show your firearm to your neighbor if you’re in a dispute. That’s assault.”

What have you learned from this job?

“There are people out there who are willing to be safe with firearms and enjoy them. Target practice, being good sportsmen. I don’t believe there are many people who take my course who want to get a gun to be macho.”

Compiled by: Business reporter Martin Luttrell

To have or suggest a job profile, send information to Andi Esposito, business editor, Telegram & Gazette, Box 15012, Worcester, MA, 01615-0012, or send an e-mail to aesposito@telegram.com.
Edward W. Pokornicki of Uxbridge (T&G Staff/MARK C. IDE)

No comments: